AAP Header

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Tue Mar 29 09:02:56 AKST 2005

Peter

The AAP headers vary in tubing thickness and method of manufacturer.
However, I've experienced very good service from them when using a brace.
(Their life can be short without one - breaking at the "flare".)

The brace that you have can be problematic with the DZ, as the brace will
interfere with the injector line at the back of the carb and the bolts
aren't of sufficient length. However, it's a relatively simple job to
fabricate a brace from thin SS stock that utilizes one of the YS mount holes
and the "shock absorber" hole/boss on the carb. This arrangement is lighter
and doesn't carry the risk of air leaks that have occurred when mounting to
the carb bolts.

I've a season on the ES pipe with the aluminum inlet - no problems. Mounted
similar to Central's latest arrangement.

The new NMP header is the best so far. They worked through a few bugs
initially, but the latest with the steel adapter and brass washers works
(stays tight). I'm using Teflon plumbers tape (3 wraps) on both the adapter
and the "plug" instead of the recommended sealant and it's stayed tight
through 3 cases of fuel. I am using a brace as described above. OTOH, this
thing is a bit heavy. The CD is around 55g, NMP around 45g, and the lightest
AAP around 30g. The good news is that most of the excess weight is at the
front of the part that mounts to the engine. I've belt sanded the front down
to near the radius of the "plug" to reduce it to 30g (and re-polished it.)
Also, the NMP is the least restrictive of the bunch - expect a few more rpm.

Earl