Adobe Troubles (longer)

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Mon Mar 28 00:36:29 AKST 2005

Hi Bob,

It's easy to say that Scaled would be just as successful if they were
using PCs instead of Macs, but they're not using PCs.  This is a
company that can use anything they want, yet their platform of choice
is a Mac (training wheels and all).

If you know Burt personally, you know he's not bashful about stating
his opinion.  Burt/Scaled has been pretty open about how their use of
Macs has saved them a great deal of time and money because of the
higher productivity gained by using Macs instead of PCs.  But that's
just their opinion, what would they know about it anyway?

I agree with your comment about will and determination, but your
comment about the selection of tools is off the mark.  Flight
test/research by it's very nature is a harsh business.  You make a
mistake and someone may die.  Picking the right tool can be just as
important as interpreting the data, use the wrong one and you get
answers that are wrong, or even no answers at all.  Anything you can
do to make the job easier helps, even if only to give you more time
to sit back and think about what you are doing, hopefully before you
do something dumb.  IMHO, most engineering mistakes are made when one
is in a hurry and struggling to get answers out.  Having a balky
computer certainly does not help the situation.

What does this have to do with Macs vs PCs?  Well, more than you'd
think.  The simple fact is that Macs rarely get in the road of
getting the work done, something that generally can't be said of PCs.
Look around, there is a not insignificant percentage of PC users who
have persistent problems with their PCs.  Macs have some issues too,
but they pale in scope and magnitude compared to the problems PCs
have.

Now I really don't care what computer anyone else chooses to use,
that's their business.  I just think it's interesting that so many
people with PCs seem to be so anxious to attack the concept that a
Mac might actually be a viable machine/OS.  The vast majority who
have tried both prefer the Mac (not all but most).  Go back and read
Randall Bearden's eMail on this topic, he makes some good points (and
like I, he's had both platforms).

I think it's time to end this thread.  Anybody want to debate the
merits of Futaba vs JR?   |-O

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd