Why are'nt there any carbon fibre fuselages ?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 08:04:49 AKST 2005

True to an extent Doug. However, carbon's strength is extremely high so
brittleness usually isn't much of an issue. Another item of interest is that
carbon in thin section is surprising flexible.

I tried laying up carbon wheel pants with some 1K cloth I had laying  around,
to save weight, and was disappointed in the finished part. It was around  8
grams but just too flimsy. Doubling up the layer produced the desired effect
but weight nearly doubled at 15 grams. Decided to return to glass and  carbon
composite. There are many more grades of glass available than carbon  cloth, so
a combination of thetwo materials produces the desired result at  reduced
weight

BTW- if anyone ever has the chance to tour the Boeing St Louis  manufacturing
site, take it. The Hornets built there are practically all  composite. The
wing skin molded assemblies use carbon extensively. Fuselage  also. Truly kool
beans

MattK

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm  wrong but isn't CF alone somewhat
brittle when in a layup without some other  material to provide flexibility?

-Doug