Why are'nt there any carbon fibre fuselages ?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Mar 23 07:23:27 AKST 2005

Doug

Other materials cannot impart  less brittleness to CF.  Kevelar is tough
but compression strength is a fraction of CF. So when you crash, CF breaks
and kevelar compression crushes like an accordian. Kevelar will actually
fail at much less of an impact. But then again we are not supposed to
crash-are we?
The highest modulus material will carry the strain.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"Doug Cronkhite" <seefo at san.rr.com>