[SPAM] Re: JR 10SX

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Tue Mar 22 12:03:08 AKST 2005

Well, John and I flew there just yesterday, for most of the day.  I've
flown on 14,15,16,17,18,24,32, 44, plus 6 meters.  Never been hit; never
seen anybody get hit with a VERIFIABLE spurious signal.  I have,
however, seen wind conditions that looked as if they might be
interference.  Got a lot of stories about that; it's about the trickiest
field I've flown on for wind  conditions.  (John did have a radio
problem yesterday, however; his transmitter battery alarm went off
because his transmitter battery was going dead.  Is that what they mean
about a dead spot?)
I remember well Mark Spicer yelling "interference" just as I happened to
be observing his airplane.  He claimed aileron interference; I could
plainly see the airplane; I had been watching it.  The ailerons weren't
deployed.  He was, however, in a "gust" area.  People fly there day
after day with no problems.  Could it be that the same radio, when
installed in a pattern airplane, automatically receives some "ghost"
interference that it doesn't receive when that same receiver is in an
IMAC airplane?  Or a sport plane? (IMAC contests held with complete
security.) These next 2 happened when I was new on the scene: Another
top flyer claimed that his radio quit.  A bystander said he was watching
him when he just plain stalled it on a landing approach.  Another top
flyer also claimed he was "blocked."  Later examination showed a dead
receiver battery.  This, of course, wasn't broadcast to the folks. Funny
about these pattern airplanes, ain't it?  And, of course, Peter
Collinson flew with us all day; never got a hit.  As I say, John's
monitor showed more interference from another field that gets flown at
all the time, than it did at this one.  Why don't I get hit?  Why don't
others get hit?  Sorry; even bad luck luck doesn't stretch that far.
But, still and all, my guess is that if the large transmitting antenna
wasn't visible, there would be nothing said.  As far as handing out
transmitters, there is no excuse for ineptness; I almost lost one of
mine at the Joe Nall, (when I used to attend) because of an Impound
mistake.  As I say, having flown there for some 6 or more years now, I
would like to be shown, just once, a verifiable problem.

Bill Glaze