Lawsuit Update

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Mar 21 10:10:21 AKST 2005

I've dealt with, retained, and been part of retaining attorney's in the
last five years regarding family law and immigration issues.  Not in ONE
instance was I ever impressed or helped by their performance.  I'll try
and cut to the chase:  if you have a PERSONAL relationship with an
attorney that specializes in your particular area of interest or need,
then you will probably be safe to hire/retain their services.  If you are
just flipping through the phone book, you will definitely be screwed.
Being an attorney must be great, because at the inception of the
"contract" or "retaining", they do not guarantee a single thing or
outcome, nor can they even guarantee what their involvement will be -
using the caveat that they must first understand the whole case.  The
attorney is mostly an exquisite salesman.  The attorneys happen to know
the "vocabulary" (notice I did not say language or case-law) of law which
they will use to impress upon you that you will be:  outmatched, unable to
understand, unable to answer, buried in paperwork, or subject to
consequences "greater" than that if you have them on your side.  The
attorney is the only one that really wins in most cases.  They win, and
get paid whether or not they make a mistake.  Yes, attorneys make
mistakes.  The bad part is, is that if they incorrectly "answer" the
claims filed against you or your group, the judge will still render a
decision or deny their motion.  If this happens, your first and only
chance to "get-it-right" is over!  Now, you must "appeal" your case at
which time standards of evidence, or levels of investigation might be
higher.  When you discover that in deed, your attorney did file motions
incorrectly, or base his/her motions on invalid case law, the judge does
not say, "... yes dear citizen, I realize your attorney filed an incorrect
motion, so we will let you have a do-over.  Come back tomorrow and we will
pretend today did not happen."  No,, I've seen the judge actually let the
attorneys file what were incorrect motions, then use "your" day in court,
which "you" pay for, as an opportunity to scold the errant attorney.  Then
that attorney just files another motion, and "you" pay for another day in
court.

Here is the deal:  Law and courts are an "industry" in which the average
citizen does not hold the key and in which we are nearly prevented from
entering.  The administration of your day in court is driven by the
personality of the judge and his scheduling system.  The attorneys know
this, and know that their personal future in this industrial-system is
based on their perception by these judges, and not necessarily by winning
or losing cases.  Real life is not what you see on TV.  You are not
entitled to a fair or equal law-industry.  Your case, your justice, your
level of penalty, is not based on the facts of the case at all.  Instead,
they are based on the presentation of these circumstances to the judge.
The function of the judge is not to administer what we would consider
"fairness" to each party, rather to act as referee to the arguing
attorneys.  Even if the judge knows exactly what must be said or done that
would ultimately give you the participant justice, they will not provide
this information to the attorneys.  Fair?  Not at all.

It is my observation that there are several tiers of law and justice.  The
very LOWEST level of competency is the only one most people can afford.
You, as a participant in the great halls of justice, are not guaranteed
ANYTHING just because you hired an attorney.  Nor do you have to hire an
attorney just because the other side did.  While most of us would say
that, "we don't have the time to represent ourselves," I would say that
you can not afford NOT to  - at least, even if you hire an attorney, you
are still responsible for your own justice and should do everything
possible to out-think and out-research the other side.  If you leave this
up to the average attorney, you will be the loser, while they get paid. If
you are not actually paying for a "firm" to represent you, then all the
"research" is going to be done by the attorney himself, for all the cases
they represent.  Attorneys have access to law databases that you will
probably not gain access to you.  They do a quick internet/database search
and spend a few minutes trying to find a "similar" (probably not exact)
case, then use their computer to print out a "ready-to-file" motion that
has some fill-in-the-blank lines.  Again, "you" are responsible for the
outcome.  (all is my opinion).

Jim

"Norm500" <Norm500 at comcast.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
03/21/2005 12:43 PM
Please respond to
discussion at nsrca.org

<discussion at nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Lawsuit Update

The one time my business was taken to small claims court by a
customer, (in New Mexico), I consulted with my lawyer before going
to court.  His recommendation was that I didn't need him in the
small claims court, but if I lost, then he would represent me in
an appeal which is apparently more formal.  I won BTW so didn't
need him.  I do think it prudent to check with a lawyer and get
his advice before going to court however.

Norm