Nose Weight

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 15:40:46 AKST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Steve Wiggin wrote:

>    OK guys,  judging from all the snide remarks, I must have asked
> your collective Holinesses a stupid question. Since I have no
> components to easily move, and I'm not going to move the wing tube
> forward, I guess the only other thing to do is think about lightening
> the tail. I am using a DB fiberglass rod for elevator as called for in
> the plan and it seems a little heavy. Perhaps I should think about
> using pull-pull for elevator to lighten the tail and avoid the "crime"
> of adding nose weight. BTW, I don't have super light weight components
> elsewhere on the plane. This is to be an entry level airplane. I
> wonder what I should do about the "crime" of being new to pattern?

I know Steve and he's a very savvy guy.  He approaches all his problems
with thought and care.  It might just be because he is an instructor in
the EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) school located on Eglin AFB.  He
was/is looking for all the many ways to accomplish his goal of getting
the correct CG, without paying a severe weight penalty.  Trust me in
that he will weigh all the inputs and make a judicious decision that
will be the best way to solve his problem.  So, be nice to Steve.  You
really don't want an EOD technician PO'd at you, do you?

Ron Van Putte