Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

Doug Cronkhite seefo at san.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 01:33:36 AKST 2005

If you start making things easier, you won't attract new pilots. All you'll
really do is make existing pilots get sloppy. IMAC has adopted new
positioning rules that are 'supposed' to make the noise footprint smaller
when in reality all they've done is breed a new group of pilots who can't
put the airplane where they want and have no reason to do so.

My best analogy is the pilot who spends his entire flying time at a field
with a HUGE runway, who then cannot land on a small one because he's never
had to do it.

Leave pattern alone. The only thing I'd do is ease up the schedules a bit
from the current trend of thumb gynastics. I've always believed a pattern
should be easy to fly, but difficult to fly well. The winning flight
shouldn't just be the person who managed to get through it.

-Doug