Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 18:39:57 AKST 2005

Arch,

I think you are right on target.

Competition is supposed to be tough and challenging, and unlike too much of
the PC rhetoric in schools today, there is only ONE winner, and everyone
else is a loser (even if they played the game "nice").

Sometimes I wonder if pattern would attract more people if -
- downgrades were 1 point per 30 degrees,
- no downgrades for wind drift,
- no box specified,
- final score includes only your single best flight,
- 3 "mulligans" allowed per flight,

And, the awards at every contest included awards for best Peewee, Junior,
Senior, Open, Sr. Open, and Super Senior.

Then 90% of the scores would be 9 or better, and 90% of the entrants would
go home with 1st place trophies.

My apologies to anyone put off by this slightly off topic post.

Dave