Off Subject: Ham Radio

Dick Smith flyrrs at cfw.com
Sun Jun 19 18:04:33 AKDT 2005

Congrats Bill on your General Class ticket!  Welcome to the world of 'ham'
radio.

Besides being able to fly on (uncrowded) 6m, operating a 'ham' radio station
provides lots of enjoyment through interesting communication with others
around the country and world, as well as being able to provide public
service in times of need.

I've been a 'ham' for 51 yrs and have lived in many places around the US
during which time I've operated my amateur radio station, meeting and became
personal friends with many other 'hams' (and modelers, too). Most
noteably, while living in AZ (back in the 60's) I had the honor to meet
Barry Goldwater and join him and 20 other hams who  operated his two
personal amateur radio stations (at his home) on military amateur radio
service (MARS) frequencies. Barry Goldwater's personal 'ham' call sign was
K7UGA and his MARS station call sign was WA7UGA. This group of 'hams'
operated his  two stations (one with 2 kw output and one had 4 kw,  p.e.p.)
communicating with military personnel in S.E. Asia and running telephone
patches (i.e.
phone calls via 'ham' radio) for/from them to their families here in the
States ....but that's a story for another time. To me, though, it was very
rewarding and time well spent.

Although I srtarted flying back in the 50's, I didn't fly use 6m initially,
just the frequencies that were available then for model planes, etc. When
the 'standard' RC frequencies started becoming  crowded, I started flying on
6m where crowding didn't exist. I have never experienced any problem on 6m
(e.g. intereference, freq conflicts, etc) but that is not to say others
might sometime. This has been this way for over 25 yrs now. (I do still use
72 occasionally).

Again, congrats and enjoy your new ticket!

73,        Dick,  W4KHV

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.