Off Subject: Ham Radio

Dick Smith flyrrs at cfw.com
Sun Jun 19 17:14:07 AKDT 2005

Congrats Bill on your General Class ticket!  Welcome to the world of 'ham'
radio.

Besides being able to fly on (uncrowded) 6m, operating a 'ham' radio station
provides lots of enjoyment through interesting communication with others
around the country and world, as well as being able to provide public
service in times of need.

I've been a 'ham' for 51 yrs, have lived in many places around the US, all
during which time I've operated my amateur radio station where I have met
and became personal friends with many other 'hams' (and modelers, too). Most
noteably, while living in AZ back in the 60's, I had the honor to become one
of Barry Goldwater's WA7UGA  MARS (Military Amateur Radio Service) club
'hams'. (His personal call lletters were K7UGA).  There, I and 18 other
'hams' operated his (home) 'ham' radio stations (he had 2, one with output
of 2kw and one with 4 kw - p.e.p.) where we ran telephone patches (i.e.
phone calls via 'ham' radio) from military personnel in Asia to their
families here in the states ....but that's a story for another time. To me,
very rewarding and time well spent.

I've been flying on 6m for about 25 yrs now (still do some on 72, though)
where there never has been a crowd.  Again, congrats and enjoy your new
ticket!

73,       - Dick,  W4KHV

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.