Electric Weight: with or without batteries at US Nationals

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Tue Jun 14 06:30:09 AKDT 2005

Mike,

I went out last night and flew three quick P05s with the brake 'on' but with
power through the entire flight.  Kokam's batteries are 10s1ps 20c with one
long cell, layered as opposed to rolled, squashed and wrapped.  They have
done testing on these cells and the fall-off point is much later than every
other competitive cell they tested.  I didn't believe it either until I
tried a set and got through several flights with that pack plus a few
manuevers.  The design also allows for thermal expansion as the plates
expand and contract evenly with higher usable temps.  I AM using the exact
same thing at 10lbs-15.5 oz. and now have 70 complete flights(except when I
had the brake 'off' for four)  I'm drawing 67 amps and can stand a little
less power most of the time.  I am NOT saying this is the best set-up--there
isn't enough spare flying time--but it IS what I have right now and makes my
airplane meet weight (not that it really matters this year for me).  My
questions were to the point of finding whether or not your experience of
brake on or off showed any difference.  Some things in this E stuff have
turned out opposite of what I had expected, such as using less power in a
cross-wind.  I had expected less used with the brake off and it seems the
opposite.  I'm only trying to see if others' experience has been similar or
my small samples of experience are valid without wasting more flights on
something that is a detriment.  We ARE driving the heck out of these--but
that's beta testing to a degree, isn't it?

Richard