[SPAM] Re: New Sequences

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sat Jun 11 09:55:09 AKDT 2005

Keith,

I fully understand what you are saying.  I just don't think I should
be downgraded for having held my line almost perfectly simply because
the next maneuver is a non-option wind correction maneuver.
"Practic[ing] the heck out of it and plan[ing] ahead in the sequence
so I[t] can be positioned correctly" doesn't solve the problem, it's
a compromise work-around to the problem.  Adjusting your distance to
allow for exiting the top hat on line means that you had to
compromise your entry line on the previous maneuver(s) and there
would be a downgrade somewhere.  Should a pilot have to intentionally
fly a maneuver incorrectly in order to avoid a downgrade in a
subsequent maneuver?  One would hope not, but that is exactly what is
happening in the new Masters pattern whenever there is a crosswind
component present.

WRT #1 below - I did win, but that isn't why I'm voicing my opinion on this.

WRT #2 below - Everyone else was already out (due to the crosswind
having blown them out) and used the Top Hat to reestablish their
position.  I was right over the poles entering the Top Hat and had no
where to go with it.  It was a strong crosswind so taking it in left
me in too close and taking it out left me way out.  There was no way
to do the Top Hat correctly and not be penalized somewhere, either in
having the Top Hat look odd because I had to cut the top line so
short, or being off line doing the next maneuver (reverse knife edge).

I stand by my statement.  A wind correction maneuver that forces a
correction to be made is not a very good wind correction maneuver.

Having a compromised maneuver in a sequence means that it isn't
possible to perform the sequence correctly.  The entire sequence is
compromised and that just doesn't seem acceptable to me.  We should
expect (and demand) better.

Are you going to the Nats?  If so, perhaps we should discuss this
over many beers?  ;-)  Hey, even Verne could join us on this one!

Thx, Jerry

mailto:jerry at buddengineering.com
http://www.buddengineering.com

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.