Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 04:44:58 AKDT 2005

Two really good posts!
First let me say that a lot of us are NOT in this to win trophies, we do it
for FUN!

My personal situation is that I really don't care all that much about
getting re-involved with 2-strokes. I am hung up on 4-strokes, mostly YS140
engines. That determines the size airplane I fly. After all, it is not the
equipment that defines my success, it is this aging body.

Most of those who switch to electric seem to be trying to justify how good
the decision was.
Unless fuel becomes very dear, I cannot imagine doing away with glow
altogether.

The economic decisions that I consider in comparison are as follows:

Fixed costs
Maintenance costs
Supply costs

At this time the fixed costs look good. Airframes ought to be easier if we
don't bathe them in solvents try to shake them to pieces.

The same goes for Maintenance. Although it is not clear if the power plant
is a supply item or a maintenance item, the same argument can be made for YS
engines. If the power plant (engine/controller) is priced at $1.00 per 10
minute flight I consider it equal to a YS140 in cost.

Then there is the subject of batteries. From my viewpoint this is where the
info is hard to acquire. Each of us has our own user profile. If I fly 3
times a week/4 flights, How many flights or weeks of flying should expect
out of a battery?

If I don't get to fly much, what is the shelf life of a battery?

And then there is the issue of proper sized equipment. I like the
performance of a YS140FZ. I tend to rev them harder than most getting over
9K rpm on an APC 15-10. Just how do I figure out what it will take to get
this performance?

If I can figure this stuff out, I may be able to subdue that frugal miser
that dwells within me.

I have a new Prodigy ready to install equipment if a retro fit is
attractive.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US