Laser Alignment

Ihncheol Park pnahobbies at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 30 15:05:04 AKDT 2005

Bob,
When I tried those laser pointers for alignment purposes a couple years ago,
I used something like a spray nozzle tube.  Some of them has very small ID
and the OD was good to use on those small round Laser pointers that use two
or three lithium batteries.  Projection was not bad.

Another way for the same laser is to fill the hole on the front cover with
something that you can drill with. Drill a new hole with finesse possible
drill bit.  With some adjustments, I could get a find point that is small
enough.  If you make it too small and can not see where the laser is, close
the curtain, turn off the lights.  You will definitely see a red point.

I only measure at the bottom the of laser points.
Since they had push button switches, I used tape to keep them on.  Then,
mounted them on a flat board with two balsa square sticks that are long
enough to hold the pointer without movement (thin double sided tape that has
about the same thickness with clear packaging tape is also good).

Mount the plane on building board with the laser pointers facing the wall
that has nothing attached or block the laser.
I mounted long straight edge on the wall using the Smart level to parallel
the building board or wing.
Called my wife to mark the wall with fine point pencil where the laser hit.

Variations of above was used to check the wing incidences, control surfaces
deflections, etc.
It took some time to set them up first, but not that bad.

A good tape measure or laser ruler can be a good tool to set up the
table/plane with the wall.

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
1037 N. Highway 69