Scoring formula

J.Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 13:03:40 AKDT 2005

Bob,
You missed my point.  Because a judge is on the high side doesn't mean he is
mediocre.  I used to argue this point when we were reviewing people's
performance at work.  Human resources insisted that we rate people on a
standard deviation curve with the mean at average.  I argued that our people
were way above the folks that worked at Sears and that the distribution
should be around "above average".  We end up with the same ranking but
everyone feels better and is encouraged rather than discouraged.

It's like gymnastics where they use a tenth point system.  Everyone is in
the nine's unless they really screw up.  The really good scores are 9.6 and
up.  The guy who doesn't do too well is in the 8.8 to 9.2 range.  The whole
idea is to make your judging count while still arriving at the correct
finishing order.  You don't want your scores to get tossed out.  As long as
we keep the best four of six flights, etc., the low scoring judges will get
their work tossed out.
Jim O