Scoring formula

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 14:31:09 AKDT 2005

The "one point per 15 degree" metric quantifies many downgrades (no - we
haven't always had this) and, in most cases, removes the high and / or low
judging standard if followed properly. While overall impression affects
whether or not points are deducted for a lack of "smoothness and
gracefulness", most everything else is now quantified.

I judged a good number of rollers at the Nats that didn't roll at all for
the first 15 - 30 degrees, then stopped rolling for a similar number of
degrees in the 2nd quadrant, then finished 30 to 45 degrees before center,
that's 4-7 degrees off before any other elements (roundness, altitude,
centering, smoothness, etc.) were considered. Many of these were quite
smooth. I know that some received 2 - 3 scores from judges using the metric
and 7 - 8 scores from those only looking for the impression of smoothness.
The pilots that did rollers correctly (rightly) distanced themselves from
the rest (I saw a few to be in the 8-9 range). A judge choosing to overlook
defined downgrades and judging on impression shouldn't be in the judges
chair.

Earl