Leaving Early NATS 05

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Thu Jul 28 19:21:53 AKDT 2005

Hi Marty,

I offer the following comments not as criticism but so that you can
be aware that there are still some problems with the scoring that
need some attention.

>Scoring had taken a bad rap in past years and had many
>holes in the system. This year many of those were
>closed with regular hand written score sheets (not
>scantron),

I agree, the hand written score sheets were a BIG improvement,
especially from my perspective as a judge on the Advanced line
Wednesday afternoon.

>new format tear sheets,

IMO, much better than what we've had before.

>speedy return of
>those sheets so you could make adjustments before your
>next flight the same day

Sorry, here's where we differ as I can't agree with that assessment
(here's an opportunity for improvement).

In the prelims I was only able to get 3 of my 6 score sheets, 1 of 2
on Monday, both of them on Tuesday, and none on Wednesday.  I flew in
the mornings and went to both Site 1 & 3 several times in the
afternoons, and also to the Farmhouse at the end of each day, to no
avail.  When I asked at the Farmhouse about them I was consistently
told "we just took a big batch out to the sites, did you check
there?" but when I went back to the sites there were no new score
sheets there.  Finally I just "gave up" as it seemed to be the same
problem I've run into the past three Nats.

[Note to D7 guys - can we start a petition to get Luke Peng to the Nats?!!]

During the first round of the Masters Finals 4 or 5 of us got
scoresheets that had obvious errors in how the scores were totaled.
We were initially told that the score sheets would be corrected, then
later told that we would not be getting ANY of our scores during the
finals (which turned out to be true).  AFAIK, none of the Masters
finalists ever saw any of their raw scores, and we didn't see any of
the normalized round totals until after the awards were presented.
To be honest, it didn't seem like Masters was given the same
organizational attention as FAI on Site 1.  As an example, there was
no sound check equipment available at Site 3 during the Masters
Finals, so a quick pilots meeting was held wherein we all voted to
"not bother with it".

>and the timely posting of
>scoring data.

In Masters, unfortunately not.

Again, I offer the above observations not as criticism but so that
those who are working so hard to improve the situation know where the
problems lie.  Scoring the Nats is a thankless job and if we're going
to pay anyone for their time, it's those guys (& gals).

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jerry at buddengineering.com