Does Pattern competition cost too much?

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 19:13:58 AKDT 2005

...from a renegade that flew a 4 servo plane with fixed gear and an exposed
side exhaust engine through the 1st two classes of pattern..........

I think the WOW factor is evident enough.

I also think there is a WOW factor for pattern - but only to the very small
group that watches long enough to see minute differences in
pilots/planes/manuevers/flights/etc, AND is then appreciative of the
differences.  Several years ago, a very talented sport pilot new to the
hobby (2 years of flying) saw me fly pattern when I visited his field - he
was impressed with the 2 flights he saw.  One month later, he saw me at a
different field and after the 1st flight he concluded pattern was extremely
boring as I did the EXACT same thing as before.  Then the wind picked up and
I was the only guy flying, and I did the EXACT same thing again - for him,
the lightbulb went off and he realized (and appreciated) just how difficult
it was to do the exact same thing.  He was (and is) a very small minority -
the minority that appreciates something like a well executed rolling circle
at a constant 100' altitude.  The majority is far more interested in the
chaotice inverted pass that briefly dips below 5' feet.

Dave