Does Pattern competition cost too much?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Jul 26 04:26:24 AKDT 2005

I don't think pattern costs too much. It is as
inexpensive now as it has ever been, IMHO.

One thing about IMAC vs pattern that has not been
mentioned is the WOW factor. Big planes, big engines,
etc. are much more impressive. Some people buy the big
planes for the WOW factor. And, the WOW factor occurs
before they even takeoff. In pattern, it does not
happen until they fly. Oh, well, except for the fancy
paint schemes (which you will never see on any of MY
planes!). :-)

I guess what I am trying to say is that you can buy
WOW factor in IMAC with enough $$$. In pattern, you
buy WOW factor with fuel. Some people have more money
than time. I don't mean anything negative by that, it
is just a fact of today's world placing more demands
on our time.

This is just my opinion. I am not taking shots at any
group. I am very much interested in both pattern and
IMAC (some may remember me as a renegade flying a
Cap21 in pattern years ago).

Bob R.

--- "J.Oddino" <joddino at socal.rr.com> wrote:

> From time to time I hear folks suggesting the reason
> the number of contestants is down is due to the high
> cost of pattern planes and support equipment.  Well
> I don't believe that is the reason.  This weekend I
> went to a relatively local IMAC contest in Camarillo
> California and there were somthing like 61
> preregistered and 56 actually flying.  I'd guess 80%
> of the planes were 40% scale, meaning they had $1500
> engines and $3000 airframes and $1500 worth of
> servos.  Then you've got the motor homes and trucks
> and trailers to transport them.  I still say the
> highest cost of flying is the driving to and from
> the field and that is probably why the park flyers
> are so popular.
> So what is the reason for the drop in attendance and
> the drop in the number of pattern contests?  Or is
> that only in Southern California?
>
> Jim O

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.