Webra Promix carb...

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 17:37:37 AKDT 2005

Emory,
I have a NIB Bully carb which is nearly identical to the new promix carbs.  The old ones stunk and Bully modified them, then Webra incorporated that mod into production about the time Piedmont started importing them, so they are nearly identical.  The Webras are fine running engines as you probably know.  Each engine has a personality that you can understand.  Your problems at Nats were definitely the MC carb in my opinion, but its not clear if the carb itself is the issue or the flexing linkages or geometry.  I think the promix carbs will be lighter, so even if the performance is as good as a properly set up MC, you'll be lighter in the end.
   General tricks for reliability with Webras are simple: Use 20% or more to reduce the demand on their poorly designed carbs (engine gets oxidizer from fuel and not atmosphere), Needle will need resettting when weather changes so have your tach available and don't be afraid to adjust a few clicks if needed, however if more than a few clicks are needed change bearings (they don't seem to last that long so use afterrun oil generously).  Getting into a good regimen wil make them reliable and dependable.
--Lance