epoxy joint

rick wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 15 07:35:16 AKST 2005

I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but it seems there are two issues
here - bond strength and fillets.

Bond strength - I think a sounds epoxy joint will be stronger than the
materials bonded in just about any case - the joint seldom fails usually
it's the material pas the joint. (ergo slow setting epoxy, poly-u or
whatever to penetrate the material and spread the stress on the joint?)
A well known pilot uses Elmers or similar to set wood spars in foam
wings - the joint's stronger than the surrounding foam so no prob.

Fillets - I think the purpose of a fillet is to spread the load across a
larger area than just the mating surfaces, and thus dissipate stress
risers or focused points of stress? They're often an easy/ cheap/ light
way of getting more durable joints.

Can't wait to hear someone w/ more than seat of the pants experience on
this -

-Rick