Schedule design - Your homework assignment should you chose to accept it.

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 13:41:12 AKST 2005

Jim,
Never seen an SPA schedule. I started with the old, non-turnaround AMA
Sportsman schedule and built from there. My faulty memory probably changed a
few things in it, but I'm sure it's pretty close. The reason I used that
approach was because that class always drew real well to the order of ten to
fifteen pilots at every contest. Nobody around here ever bothered with
Novice because they had no interest in the maneuvers flown. They'd start
right off in Sportsman, bypassing Novice.We always called them "weekend
warriors" because most were just above average sport flyers. Funny thing is
that it was almost a completely different group of guys at every contest
that were "local" to wherever the contest was. Some of them continued on and
some didn't, but enough stayed with it to make an average contest have 40 -
50 contestants. When we went to all turnaround, they all vanished. I think
anybody we're LIKELY to draw to one of our contests would be able to do
those maneuvers because they're already doing them at local fields all over
the country. I believe the steps in this approach are very logical and point
to the biggest mistake we've been making since the early 90's and that
mistake is ignoring the fact that learning to fly turnaround is a HUGE step
in and of itself. We've had a few new guys tell us that on the List recently
if anybody was listening.

Verne