Pattern Help

Jim Ivey jivey61 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 14 13:18:08 AKST 2005

Earl
 Back in my C5A Flight test days. I remember the pitot tubes on the test planes mounted on a boom and 15 feet in front of the radome to get the pickup out into clean air.My group did the preflight and calibrations of the pickups including angle of attack and sideslip.   The on board ships pitots were mounted on either side of the fuse about a foot away from the skin just aft of the cockpit.There was 2 on either side, one pilot and one copilot. The pilots pitots were plumbed together,one on either side, and measured the average of the ram air for airspeed . The salt shakers were plumbed together,one on either side, and presented the average vacuum for altitude. This arrangement provided for side slip and angle of attack variations and gives a more correct readings.
Having said all this you might benefit by getting the pitots out in clean air with longer tubes and use a pitot on each wing. Plumb them together and run the single tube to the sensor.  Since one wing panel moves ahead of the other and moves in a circular motion during a snap I think you would have more representative data with a averaging system.

Just food for thought.

Jim Ivey