[SPAM] Re: Re: Class Structure - 400S

Dan Curtis warrior523 at mchsi.com
Mon Jan 10 17:31:30 AKST 2005

Bob and all,

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile and decided to throw in my
thoughts.
I have been a CD for awhile and have hosted and attended alot of contest
over the past few years.  I don't recall having one Sportsman flyer talk
about the sequence being to hard, difficult for some yes, but too hard no.
I have had practically everyone (Sportsman flyer) that I have talked to tell
me that it is awfully short.  A few thought it was just about right while
most wanted more flight time per sequence.  Flying the sequence twice per
flight seemed to remedy most of the grumbles.  Double sequences worked
pretty well without causing any problems with scoring or in total contest
time and could be looked at very closely.  It is easy to do by just posting
the intent in advance.  I for one, would not mind seeing a few more
maneuvers added to the class but I can also see where it could be raising
the intimidation factor a few points to newbies.

Adding another class in our current schedules would be a poor path to take,
IMHO.  Contestant numbers are low at some contest all ready and I have seen
many contest with from 1 to 3 Sportsman entrants.  A pre novice class could
very easily dilute this kind of attendance into 1 per class for example.
CD's would need to come up with sponsors or monies for another set of awards
and could very well have many awards going to waste.  I also, am one of the
few (it seems) that believe the Sportsman class in pattern is for beginning
"pattern" flyers and not necessarily for beginning RC flyers.  I see nothing
wrong with a newbie "pattern flyer" entering his first contest in Sportsman
with the best gear that is available if that is what he/she wants to fly.  I
know years ago when I first decided to enter the pattern fraternity it never
enter my mind to go into the beginning class with out  the best equipment I
could manage. The idea of Pre-Sportsman class to attract the real fledglings
is precisely what pattern primers are designed to accomplish and this is
where our efforts and energy should be directed.  I feel we can use, stand
alone pattern primers or primers inbedded in club fun flys, to a much
greater degree than we have been, and that this approach would serve our
goal of stimulating interest in pattern flying much more effectively than a
watered down new class.

Thanks for reading

Dan Curtis