Class Structure

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 09:10:20 AKST 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Wallaceaero1 at aol.com wrote:

> That sounds good in theory, but not sure that would work out too well
> at a contest. Most folks are just too busy, especially people running
> the contest.
>
> Our club, The Aeroguidance Society, has had very good luck with running
> "pattern primers" twice a year in which the experienced pattern fliers
> in the club provide detailed explanation/demonstration of the
> sportsman sequence and get the guys plenty of practise with coaching
> and feedback. At the end of the day we run a simulated contest with
> judges in place. Last year we were able to get I think 5 guys to enter
> Sportsman at our contest. The real trick is to get them interested
> enough to travel to some other events ;)

John Fuqua and I ran a Pattern Primer for club members yesterday and
the attendees (6) had a great time.  When the 'chalkboard session' of
describing what R/C aerobatics is all about was over, we had John
demonstrate the simple maneuver schedule I put together:  TO, enter
box, straight flight out, 1/2 reverse Cuban 8, straight flight back,
exit/reenter box, 2 loops, stall turn, one roll, exit box, landing.
Then four of the attendees, who wanted to try their hand at the
maneuver schedule with judges in place, did their thing.  Nobody said,
"That's too tough for me".  They did say, "It's not as easy as I
thought and I need to practice".

BTW, How many of you remember way back before Turnaround when the
lowest class routinely did, straight flight out, procedure turn,
straight flight back, horizontal 8 and so on?  They had turnaround
before the rest of us did!

Ron Van Putte