Rules for Electrics in AMA Pattern [was: Participation]

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sun Jan 9 13:38:49 AKST 2005

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together an AMA rules clarification
proposal (which BTW doesn't have to occur during a rules cycle year)
to clarify this topic.  The proposal is only for AMA and has no
applicability for FAI events.

When I flew Frackowiak's electric Partner at the Nats this year this
was a topic that got a lot of discussion.  Some argued that the
battery was the fuel so under the current rules you should weigh the
airplane without the battery.  Others argued that the battery wasn't
the fuel, that it was the fuel tank, and that under the current rules
you should weight the plane with the batteries.  *I* suggested that
the current rules weren't clear on the subject, and that maybe we
ought to clarify the rules.  The Chair of the Rules Committee agreed
with me on that point, and suggested I put forth a well thought out
rules clarification proposal for consideration (which I am).

Some general comments about my experience flying the ePartner to 2nd
in Masters at the Nats follow:

The ePartner weighed 8 lbs without the batteries, just under 5kg
with, and it did make weight without any problems.  Someone at the
Nats started a rumor that it was 3 or 4 oz over weight and that I was
jumping through hoops to get it lighter.  I thought that was funny
since only a small handful of people knew what it really weighed, and
most of them weren't at the Nats!  With the latest round of batteries
it really isn't an issue since they're lighter yet, but anyone
converting a 2m ARF to electric is still going to have a problem
making weight.

Also, one of the NSRCA District columnists, wrote in their Nats
report that I was flying an electric Partner in Masters and "even
finished second".  The columnist further wrote that the ePartner
"lacked some power in heavy wind and in the verticals."  The problem
seen with the ePartner in the heavy wind was solely a crosswind
problem due to the pilot (that would be me) as Dave Lockhart so
elegantly stated after the flight, "not making the commitment to hold
the line".  As far as the "lacking power in the verticals" I have no
idea what this person was looking at.  Many of you saw the Partner
fly at the Nats (and a few others in Omaha the Friday before), and
virtually everyone was surprised at how well it went "uphill".

The columnist further wrote that Jason's Impact had better
performance than the ePartner because Jason was using "experimental
equipment" not yet available to everyone.  That's an interesting
comment since Jason and I were using exactly the same equipment, just
in different airplanes (even the props were the same).  I even had
several different pilots comment to me during the week that Jason's
Impact seemed *down* in power compared to the ePartner, and yet
others that said that Jason had *more* power with the Impact than the
ePartner.  Go figure.  When I finally saw Jason fly on Wed morning, I
didn't see any real difference in power, just a difference in flying
style (In Masters I was flying slower horizontal components at lower
power settings and taller, more extended vertical end lines than he
was in FAI).

The columnist completed their comments with the statement, "in a
short time, electrics will really have "arrived" and be true
competitors to the glow engines."  I guess I was fortunate that I
even finished the contest, let alone having finished second!  Maybe
I'll switch back to glow so I can be competitive in Masters at the
Nats next year.  : P

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd