[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: AMA MASTER'S unknown?

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Jan 7 05:26:56 AKST 2005

Agreed, Ed.
It's a great effort for no real gain.
Regards,
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.
South Plainfield, N.J. 07080
(908) 222-7817 phone
(908) 222-2392 fax
d.pappas at kodeos.com
-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Ed Alt
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 12:30 AM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: AMA MASTER'S unknown?

Well, after flying Scale Aerobatics, AKA IMAC for 7 or 8 years, from Sportsman through Unlimited, I guess I'm not very excited about introducing unknowns into Pattern.  On the one hand, it does add some interest.  On the other hand, it introduces so many variables that it can really screw up an event and adversely affect the outcome.  If the desire here is to turn Pattern into a contest of who can best memorize new sequences on the fly, who won't crack under the pressure and simply brain fart their way into a few zeros, then this is a great idea.

So if we do this, the sequences have to be well designed, there has to be a uniform standard to apply to construct the sequences and there has to be a way to get the judges ready to properly judge them.  They are unknowns for them as well.  So even if we have a flight line full of steely eyed flyers who can memorize and repeat a new sequence flawlessly, the quality of the judged outcome can really suffer if you do not assure that the judges are rehearsed for the unknowns.  Sometimes at the IMAC Nats, the judges would be treated to a demo flight before the unknowns in the finals round. Sometimes not.  BTW, they have a new unknown every day after day one.  You tend to spend your nights memorizing sequences and forgetting the previous days unknown.  It's part of the IMAC mindset, i.e., the unknowns are supposed to separate the men from the boys and if you can't deal with this idea, then don't come to play.  If you get screwed because the judges don't know what they're looking at until the 5th of 6th flyer gets in front of them, then so be it.

In general, IMAC gets things into the Scale Aerobatics rules because "that's what IAC does".  Super.  Are we to introduce unknowns because IMAC does it?  Again, what problem are we trying to solve and how does introducing unknowns solve it?

Regards
Ed