Weight rules discussion ( my opinion)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 19:46:27 AKST 2005

Buddy,

Some further thoughts on your post -

If the current rules are not enforced, or more practically, the spirit of
the rules are not enforced, that is a problem - the solution would be to
enforce the rules to the extent that the spirit of the rules is maintained.
As has been pointed out by many (and I agree), the overwhelming majority of
pilots (including me) and CDs are not going to seek to disqualify or
disallow a pilot at any level in any class simply because they have a
current day design that is marginally overweight - because it does not
provide a significant competitive advantage and pattern as a whole is not
better served by forcing someone out of the event who has a marginally
overweight plane that was/is designed to the spirit of the rules.

Granted, the Nationals are a different level of competition and at that
level, the rules should be enforced and anyone planning to compete at that
level should be prepared to meet not only the spirit of the rules but the
specific letter of the rules as well.

Generating a new rule to take the place of a rule that has been arguably
abused is very unlikely to be an effective solution - it will only be a
matter of time before the new rule is similarly abused and the cycle will
eventually repeat with more losses to the numbers in the pattern community
due to increased costs.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net