FAI Weight Thread

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 16:43:55 AKST 2005

John,

Interesting point - but I don't think it really applies to pattern because of HUGE difference between pylon and pattern - pylon has a displacement limit, pattern doesn't.  In pattern adding weight will not level the playing field or allow the heavy planes to compete (at the rare contests where weight is checked) - because the engines will also get bigger, and the planes have plenty of room to get bigger (the bipe you mention).  My bet would be that the "new" bipes would develop and evolve and push the weight limit - until the weight limit was raised until at least 16+ pounds - adding weight to the big bipe beyond that would start to become counter productive - just like adding weight to an 11 lb current day pattern model.

You are absolutely correct that hindsight clearly shows the resulting unintended consequences of multiple iterations of rule changes that ultimately lead to the larger more expensive models.  I find it rather interesting that people seem to have no qualms about implementing new rules that will obsolete the current equipment - but only when the new rule allows escalation and not the other way around.

Dave