FAI Weight Thread

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Feb 23 17:46:20 AKST 2005

Guys,
 Has anyone looked at any Pylon racing forums? They have a MINIMUM weight
requirement. Everyone works DOWN to achieve the goal. Guess what they're
arguing about? The same thing that we are - they want to raise the weight
limit to allow more planes to be competitive. The reasoning is that some of
the ARFs are heavier than MINIMUM weight (sound familiar?). They figure that
by adding weight to light airplanes to make them "legal", while leaving the
heavy ones alone, everyone will be even again. The points and counterpoints
are exactly the same ones we have.
 The problem we're having is because everyone knows the RIGHT thing to do (I
think), but it's too late. If the rules were worded differently from the
beginning, we wouldn't be discussing this now. It would not be a good idea
to make someone's airplane illegal overnight (make the glow fuel weight
include fuel) even though it's technically the correct thing to do. Keep in
mind the new rules don't go into effect immediately. In retrospect, I think
as long as the size is limited, the weight will stay in line because we're
all trying to build lighter airplanes, aren't we? The down side of limiting
just the size and not the weight of course has one loophole: biplanes. Think
about it. Speak now or deal with it later...
 Now would probably be a good time to look at your plane and see if you can
lighten it up SAFELY. The worst thing that will happen is it might fly a
little better. If 99% of us could make weight with a full tank, it might put
an end to this for a while. Maybe this isn't even possible today, but by the
time the rules go into effect, it probably will be.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com