Sound Level meter requirements

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Feb 16 16:34:09 AKST 2005

Tony,
 This is all very interesting. Even in the short time I've spent looking at
these meters I noticed some questionable areas. That's why I asked if there
was a more specific set of test criteria / procedures. It seems to me, that
even under controlled conditions, a GOOD meter might not produce repeatable
results. It is of course very important to calibrate to a reference (i.e.
94dB / 1KHz), then measure. Without doing that you can't take accurate
absolute measurements. Also, Unless the spec. is written to allow for
tolerance of the meter (most of the ones I've seen are +/- 1.5dB), sometimes
you'll read (too) high and sometimes you'll read low, even with the same
source and a calibrated meter. It's probably more important to have an
accurate means of re-calibrating the meter rather than having a meter that
has a tighter tolerance. Taking reasonably accurate measurements relative to
a known reference should be acceptable, I would think. That's why a band
tunes to the keyboard if they don't have an electronic tuner handy. A modern
electronic keyboard can be considered an accurate reference for pitch.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com