Sound Level meter requirements

tony at radiosouthrc.com tony at radiosouthrc.com
Wed Feb 16 15:25:56 AKST 2005

Del:
The problem with all meters I know of is that they all change!  I was the first one in the USA to work with the FAI in establishing how a db check would actually be done in the field.  I did the first ones at the 1983 US Team Selections in Rough River, KY right before the 1983 World Champs.  As I was the assistant CD for the WC, AMA wanted me to gather the data and learn how the system the FAI had designed would really work in the field.  We found that even expensive db meters developed drift.

The expensive versions used by AMA have to be adjusted about every 4 hours, as they can drift 1/2 to 1 1/2 db in that period of time due to temperature changes.  That is the problem with any meter.  Unless you have a calibrator to adjust the meter, it is really pretty worthless in getting an accurate measurement.  As long as + or - 5 db is OK, you don't need to worry.  However, if you are trying to meet any model noise requirement out there, your really spinning your wheels.

Tony Stillman
Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32505