Sound Level meter requirements

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Feb 16 04:46:51 AKST 2005

Good point.

For my use (making comparisons) the RS meter is fine. The club I formerly belonged to also used them for enforcing a club-imposed noise limit.

However, if it comes down to enforcing a local noise ordinance, a calibrated meter traceable to NIST would probably be required. I'm not sure, but I don't see why you would not be able to have a RS meter calibrated, although I am sure the measurement uncertainty would not be very good. I'm sure the calibration would probably cost more than the RS meter.

What are/were the circumstances of "needed in a court of law" are you referring to?

Bob R.

Lance Van Nostrand <patterndude at comcast.net> wrote:
Earl/John,
Our club bought a RS meter and I remember Gray taking it to a contest where
either Earl or Mike Harrison had their Extech. The RS meter was 2 db off
and had no calibration. We then bought the Extech and found that the
calibration ability and the specs are needed in a court of law.
--Lance