Sound Level meter requirements

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 06:29:02 AKST 2005

Bob

Lance is correct in that for noise data to be useful in a legal environment one would want to cover all the bases regarding instrument accuracy, certification, and operator qualifications. The RS meter is a poor choice in this situation, RS specifically mentions in their literature that the meter is not ANSI compliant. The RS meter is OK for comparisons - but it will drift quite a bit with temp changes.

Most sound level limits imposed by ordinance deal with the noise level at the property line, usually on the order of 65 dB-A (daytime/ residential) or 68 (non-residential) max in the areas most flying facilities are located. For legal use, a club would probably be better served by a record of the sound level at the property line over the time model activity is ongoing and not. (Recording meters are readily available.) Often such data demonstrates that the modeling  contribution is a small increase over normal background noise. A search of litigation regarding modeling noise reveals that the model facility usually prevails when the property line limits are met.

A good source of info, including local ordinances is available at: http://www.lhh.org/noise/

Earl