Sound Level meter requirements

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Tue Feb 15 21:12:07 AKST 2005

Thanks everyone. I got a Rad Shack meter for now but I'm going to keep my
eyes open for an ANSI compliant one. I just missed a sale at MCM Electronics
so I'll have to wait. The tolerance of the RS meter (+/- 2dB) is not as
tight as some of the more expensive ones (+/- 1.5 dB) but for my purposes it
should be OK for now. I just want to see what I can do to improve noise
levels of some of my planes and also to compare them with other noise
sources. As long as I use the same meter, the qualitative results should be
meaningful even if the quantitative results are not extremely accurate.

 Lance - Thanks for the heads up re- the "court of law". I guess it would be
worth the extra money to buy a meter with the certificate of compliance
(most have an additional charge for this) if you intended to use the
readings to settle any disputes with neighbors (flying field complaints).

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---