Rules don't grow sports!

Pete Cosky pcosky at direcway.com
Wed Feb 9 07:49:50 AKST 2005

Dave you came up with some very valid questions and here is how I would answer....I hope others will put their views in as well........

If it's used gear then it's used gear but you are not going to get a used Focus for $100. It will have certain market value and if it's still available like a Sequel then you would take the new value in this instance $375 for the kit. Some may argue that this is ridiculous but why not in sportsman which is where you want people to feel comfortable and get their feet wet. I buy YS engines because I love them but I don't buy brand new 1.60 DZs. I buy used 1.20 and 1.40 FZ engines and pay around $300 to $400 for them. My latest plane is an Excelleron 90 $279 street price, my old OS 1.20 Surpass II with pump I think I paid around $330 for it....there's my $600 mark. Not hard to do.

Once out of sportsman buy as much as you can afford.....

There used to be an R/C Aerobatics article in Model Aviation. Why not make sure you get that exposure. I fully agree with supporting FM but you won't find it at any of the news stands in my area, so you are back to main stream media.

Besides.....nothing is perfect and you will NEVER make everyone happy. I tried for a few years as my club president and put a lot of effort in to grow my local club. I got us in the local paper and got us a website and spent time with prospective members and made sure they bought the gear they needed not the cool stuff they wanted. That's why forum discussion like this is such a good thing. It sparks ideas and gets various perspectives on the subject.

Pete