*SPAM* Re: Rules Survey

Bill Southwell bnbsouthwell at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 8 17:26:14 AKST 2005

Hi Jeff,

  I flew a webra 1.45 my last season.. it worked well for a while but it
was temperamental and its going over the hill during a contest put me
out the rest of the season. I have owned a ST 2300 and couldn't get it
to run like I wanted ( I guess I was one of the unlucky ones). I Like
two strokes but it seems that as you push an engine it pushes back. I
like the wide body  designs due to the fact I can see it. The larger
size pushes the lighter engines to a breaking point. If the wt limit is
adjusted the possibilitys of airframe innovation are widened a bit and
there would be a much larger range of practical engine/airframe
combinations.

  I like the 2 meter limit as it keeps me from having to buy a trailer
and a larger vehicle to haul it. The 2M size is great but the FAI's 11
lbs it keeps us in a tough power plant range both budget and reliability
wise. I guess I have to cook up a  super $$$ airframe just to have a
reasonably priced power plant that laughs at danger and daring do. I
would trust the heavier engine enough to risk the $$$ bucks but as it is
right now I can't justify the expense. This point alone backs up the
case for an inflow of new pattern junkies. If it gets more affordable to
fly a WB 2M then the field might fill up.Then the issue of do I fly a
smaller plane and risk the "he's not really serious or hard core" when
in front of his peers or judges ( just plain ole human nature) or am I
gonna fly bigger and not be handicapped in my own mind or others.

Regards
Bill