Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Aug 2 17:50:38 AKDT 2005

--- Wayne Galligan <wgalligan at goodsonacura.com> wrote:

> Ron,
>
> One thing I noticed and this happened on my flight
> line when I was judging Masters.  I was lined up
> right on the center pole and the other two judges
> where off to my left... not just a little... but way
> over in the shade.  Could explain why your end box
> maneuver got scored a little lower then the other
> two judges.  This is something I noticed across the
> board.   Could be the outer judges where seeing the
> box violation differently.

Whenever I sit in the chair, the first thing I do
before the round starts is to stand in the pilot's box
and line up all the poles with distant landmarks, such
as trees, power poles, etc. Then I move back to the
chair and notice the amount of parallax. I use that
difference to judge the box violations.

Reminds me of a rather amusing picture I saw one time.
A guy was bent completely around so his head was,
well, where the sun doesn't shine. The caption to the
picture was "I'm just trying to see things from your
perspective". :-)

Bob R.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.