Scoring formula: Process, Human factors, cut for length

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Aug 1 06:38:14 AKDT 2005

Hi All,

The scoring formula thread brings in two camps of thoughts (from my
reading) that each should be addressed.  Troy, Earl, and Eric have touched
on the method or "process" that should go into scoring and tear sheets for
FAI.  Troy had some great, valid points about the tear sheets in which I
agree would lead to a more honest judging result, and create the
"transparent" view of the contest to the contestants.  Besides process or
following FAI rules, the other issue several people have tried to
delicately step around is the topic that if one brings up, is typically
attacked as having "sour-grapes" or upset in other ways at the outcome.

So lets bring up the big question and debate as free-thinking adults:  How
do we ensure that the flight in question (any class) is being judged
purely on the technical quality of the flight compared against the known
set of downgrades?  If the flight in question is judged with integrity and
without prejudice, it is quickly recognizable as a less than perfect
event.  The judging committee has gone a long way to create information
sets and education regarding the rules and technical guide lines for the
patterns and the individual maneuvers.  In the class though, we then
typically say something like, " .... but you have to remember that judges
are human."  While this catch all statement is used (in the class room
setting) to present a case as for why there may be minor differences in
scoring (judge-to-judge), we may not be giving the "human" factor the
priority of education it deserves as compared to the affect this same
"human" factor has on the outcome of the event.  How do we ensure that
each flight is being scored on its quality and merits, without regard to
any additional factors?  How do we ensure that any institutional or
historical bias does not turn one fliers "7" into an "8", and another's
"7" into a "6"?  We have taken the "technical" education pretty far - but
how can human behavior  be changed?

Ideally, the judges should not even "know" who is flying which is to say
again, that the score is not based on the flyer, but the quality of the
flight.  For example:  Should the pilots all fly the same plane, with the
same color scheme, with the judges shielded from view of the identity of
the pilot?  I doubt this would go over well for many reasons however - one
reason is that recognition for past performance is a key factor in today's
or future results.  Thus, each pilot with excellent or poor prior results
is at advantage or disadvantage to have the judges to know that it is
indeed, them who is flying.  Opposition to such on the high end in regards
to scoring, is evidence of this "X" factor in the overall final results.
I'm not advocating a 1-design class, just using it for example.  How do we
ensure that judges are evaluating the flight on its merits alone, and not
according to additional factors such as (name your favorite).  The
additional human factors if brought to the chair,  are worthy of
discussion.  Heres a question:  Do you want habitual long standing judges
with years of experience in the FAI/Masters finals chair, or somewhat
newer judges who are technically educated but bring less prior experience
to the chair of this same group of competitors?

Again, the point is process (in the FAI since following what rules are
there), and human, ensuring the each flight is evaluated solely on the its
own merit, as unique discreet events without regard to past performance or
future expectation.  However, from the previous threads, it appears that
"Advanced" suffers from a lack of technical knowledge in the chair where
as the other end of the spectrum (FAI) can suffer from the human factor
part of the equation.

All ideas welcome,
Jim W.