Running motors dry

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sun Sep 26 20:46:03 AKDT 2004

 I noticed a lot of guys like to run the motor dry before putting things
away at the end of the day. This seems like a good idea because you don't
want to leave any fuel in the crankcase. The question I have is what causes
more damage: leaving the fuel in the crankcase or running the engine without
oil (the oil is in the fuel). I also see that Hangar 9 makes an after run
fuel. The idea is to run the motor on this and then put it away I guess. Has
anyone used this stuff? It seems like a better way to accomplish both tasks.
Maybe some of the bearing failures we see could be aggravated by the dry
runs? I know heat is a major factor, but I really don't think it's a good
idea to run a motor without oil. Regarding fuels - Is it better to run pure
synthetic or a castor / synthetic mix? Most of our pattern engines are
ringed so I guess the castor isn't really necessary and the synthetic is
cleaner.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---