Webra bearing life report

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 19:23:49 AKDT 2004

Hi Dave, this was written about fairly recently. Mobil 1 is a superb oil in
its ability to not just coat and "wet out" a metal surface, but to actually
penetrate the surface and bond to it. That's the main reason full size engines
last and last when they are fed this stuff regularly.

But that same property, metal penetration, is likely causing the elements of
the plugs to get fouled prematurely. A glass hard coating  will build onto the
element, killing its catalytic properties. There's nothing wrong with the
procedure you outlined. I would continue except I would change after run oils. My
favorite is castor but I know Dean likes Amsoil, and others use Klotz and
other oils contained in fuel.

MattK
I've been running the 1.45 for a couple of months and have about 10 hours (58
flights) on it so far. The bearing is showing no signs of wear yet. I'm
running 15% S&W fuel and run the engine dry after every session and LOAD it with
Mobil 1; not just a few drops - probably about a tablespoonful, maybe more. I
removed the integral pump and am using a Perry so probably any after run oil
would do; no diaphragm to worry about.

For the first run of the day, I remove the glow plug and blow out the oil
with the starter, replace the plug and start it up. It usually "complains" a
little for the first start, but it always runs on the second or third try.
Thereafter it will flip start for the rest of the day.

It does eat plugs, though. They seem to last only about 10-12 flights. (OS
F's) Any cure for this?

Dave Wartel