European Champs, Alcochete, Portugal 2004

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 17:34:19 AKDT 2004

Ron, I like like your idea of giving people as much information as possible,
too. I followed up on this issue with Eric Henderson who was president when
most of this occured. Attached below is his response to my question
regarding choice of Bob Noll as US judge:

Joe,
        I would like to point out that it is well documented that Bob Noll
was the NSRCA official nomination for the USA FAI-F3A judge for the world
F3A championships in Ireland that last time around before Poland.

    Dave Brown elected to choose Mike Dumphy. Mike performed well and
because of his performance and that of Earl Haury before him, (Pensacola
worlds), restored the USA to having a good reputation in the global pattern
community.

This was particularly important after the debacle in Australia when the USA
judge was removed from the panel because of apparent biased scored towards
the USA pilots. Guess who the judge was, none other than Ron VP himself!

Dave Brown had a mess on his hands. It was partially fixed but needed more
consolidation. Dave then followed Skinner's lead and chose Mike Dumphy again
so we would be sending a familiar and also internationally experienced USA
judge on the panel.

Then, with Mike on the panel in Poland, Bob was invited to attend and
prepare for France. Bob was not funded so it was on his own dime - there's
dedication for you. Sounded like a good plan to me.

It must be recognized and remembered by all that this is an AMA team and the
AMA chooses who we send as a judge. The TBL assessment of judges is only one
indicator of judging performance. It is also important to experienced and
recognized. Bob has done many types of judging at all levels including
several team trials.

In a year of elections professional politicians and society officers are
often seen scrambling for some vital "issue" that makes them indispensable
or invaluable. Clearly Ron has attached himself to the FAI judging issue. It
could also be taken that Ron VP has an axe to grind with the AMA and takes
every opportunity to take a shot at them.

This is not new behavior and it makes it very hard for the rest of us who
have been working well with the AMA  towards a better SIG relationship.

Regards,

Eric.