Off Topic - Big Buff Crash

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 13:01:41 AKDT 2004

A guy who used to work for me flew B-52's.  He said that if you get it to 60 degrees bank angle you better have 10,000 feet under you because it was going to do exactly what you see in the video and there's nothing you can do about it.  Several years ago there was a spectacular crash of a B-52 at an airshow.  Exactly this happened.  The pilot tried a low altitude, high bank angle turn.  There is a well known video of this crash, but I don't have a URL for it.  If you see it, pay close attention to the ailerons.  Before it hits you can see the pilot has full opposite aileron trying to bring it back out of the bank and the plane just continues on rolling over.

Ed

Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:
Nik:
Thanks for the posting, even if it's a heartbreaker. A lot of friends
of mine have flown the B52 in service. Nobody ever mentioned anything
like the spiral dive problems noted. A friend of mine has actually spun
one of them, (glad I wasn't along for that!) and another has had the
fin/rudder depart the airplane in mid-Atlantic, due to extreme
turbulence. He said the Dutch roll was impossible to describe; but they
got the thing back to the States and a red-alert landing.
In a model size, if it had only spoilers in lieu of ailerons, as on the
full size, the aerodynamics just might prevent a spiral recovery.
Obviously, something prevented a recovery.
Bill Glaze