Off Topic - Big Buff Crash

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 12:35:40 AKDT 2004

Nik:
Thanks for the posting, even if it's a heartbreaker.  A lot of friends
of mine have flown the B52 in service.  Nobody ever mentioned anything
like the spiral dive problems noted.  A friend of mine has actually spun
one of them, (glad I wasn't along for that!) and another has had the
fin/rudder depart the airplane in mid-Atlantic, due to extreme
turbulence.  He said the Dutch roll was impossible to describe; but they
got the thing back to the States and a red-alert landing.
In a model size, if it had only spoilers in lieu of ailerons,  as on the
full size, the aerodynamics just might prevent a spiral recovery.
Obviously, something prevented a recovery.
Bill Glaze