What class should I fly in?

Mike East mweast at prodigy.net
Wed Sep 1 20:51:12 AKDT 2004

Hey Dan.
Im just moving into intermediate midseason as well.. I would say there are two reasons to move up..
1. If you must because you have exceeded the limits of staying in sportsman or
2. because you are bored with sportsman.
I got bored with it and Im really not concerned of where I come out in the standings in intermediate,,, well not as much as those who know me may think. Once you know for sure what the fundamental required elements of the sportsman pattern are and you can perform them well time after time,, I would say move up,, you have nothing else to gain by staying. Plus you give someone else a chance to have some success..

I dont care if I never win, place or show in intermediate, Id rather move up and be challenged and come in last place than stay and win every contest just to say I won... If I ever fly that dang sportsman pattern again it will be too soon. And I tell you what, if I get bored with intermediate I will move up to advanced, may be next week, may be next year I dont care what my district standings are. I fly for fun and if it isnt fun then I will quit,,

Anyways Pattern is like golf, ultimately you are only competing against your own abilites or lack thereof. The judges just remind you of how much you have to learn,, or,, how much you have learned.

In a nutshell.... if it aint fun,,,, move up!!

Mike

"Daniel J. Hamlett" <d77hamlett at comcast.net> wrote:
Hello everyone.

I am trying to figure out what class I should be flying in ( sportsman or intermidiate ).  I reciently flew at my first pattern meet ( Waterbourough ME ).  I placed first in sportsman class.  That is the only meet that I will be able to attend for the rest of this season.  I have only flown the 401 class 1/2 a dozen times, including the meet.  I have been told that if you place at an event and beat 3 or 4 people that you have to move up in to the next class ( intermidiate ).  My question is this.  I did place first but I think that it may be a little bit premature for me to move up into the intermidiate class. Given the amount of time that I have been flying this pattern, should I compete next year in sportsman.  I don't want to brake any rules, so I am looking for feedback to help me determine if I need to move up.  I have heard mixed feeling concerning this at my local club.  There are a few other members that fly pattern there.  I want to know if what their opinion is shared by
 other flyers.  Any feedback on this would be apreciated.  Thank you in advance for your responce.

Dan