What class should I fly in?

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Sep 1 18:05:31 AKDT 2004

Dan,
 Don't feel bad. I was thinking the same thing (I'm the guy who flew the
Super Kaos Jr. to second place behind you at the Waterboro contest). I might
only make one more contest this year. I've only flown in one official
contest (the one in Waterboro). The only other one was the pattern primer in
Hadley. I would like to fly Sportsman next year with a newer plane before
moving to Intermediate. I realize that being moved to a higher class will
force me to practice more and fly better, but I already planned on doing
that. I honestly don't feel like I've mastered the Sportsman pattern yet so
it will be a lot of work to fly Intermediate really well. One thing to
consider... The rules actually state:
A flier must move out of the Sportsman class at the end of that calendar
year if he places first, second, or third, and above at least four (4) other
fliers (having recorded an official flight) in any sanctioned Pattern class
contest.

 I'm not sure if the Waterboro contest was AMA sanctioned (it should have
been because it ran so smoothly). Maybe someone else can help out here. In
any event, you flew very well so the only "bad" part about being forced into
Intermediate is that you might not bring home any trophies for a while.
That's not so bad. I have too many already from my R/C car racing days.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com