CD's

Jeff H. Snider jeff at snider.com
Sat Oct 30 07:01:36 AKDT 2004

Indeed having a ranking system opens up the possibility for someone
to take pride in having a visible sign of their good judging skills.
Someone saying to themselves "I'm going to move from a 2 to a 5 by
the end of the season" seems like a good thing, since it means they
will work hard at being a good judge, they will go to a lot of
contests, and they will WANT to judge as many rounds as possible.

A judging competition sounds good too.  Keeping it simple: a flight
by the best pilot present, with everyone else judging him.  Imagine
a flight with 25 judges scoring it.  After the flight the top judges
can somehow together decide what the "right" scores were for each
maneuver (we'd have to set a time limit on their haggling over
downgrades), and the winner is the judge who scored the closest to
"right" (by the least squares method -- I'll make a simple excel
spreadsheet for you).  Maybe make the entry fee for the contest
include an extra $2 that goes into a 50/50 with the winning judge
getting the pot.  A great warmup for the judges and a great
introduction to judging for new pilots.

 - Jeff Snider
 - jeff at snider.com
 - Northern VA, NSRCA D2