Help with radio choice, Possible firestorm!

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Mon Oct 25 10:07:36 AKDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:51:39 -0400
glenn Loud <wildweasel07 at comcast.net> wrote:

> As I am gearing up for getting back into pattern I want to upgrade to
> a better transmitter as my old JR is dated and frankly worn out.
> I was thinking of JR 8103 or Futaba 9UAP  either one I will have to
> buy 2 new PCM recievers and I only have JR servos in my soon to be
> backup Icepoint.
> (I will be getting new digitals for my soon to be Number 1  Icepoint.
> ) I will be flying 402 next year.
>
> Rational disscussion allways welcome, lets not let this evolve into a
> flame war please!

Earlier this season I upgraded my trusty Futaba 7UAF because it
lacked multiple model memory and elevon mixing.  After looking around at
different radios I bought the Futaba 9CAP (transmitter only) from Servo
City and I have been happy with the ergonomics, the intuitive interface
(only read the manual once so far), and the programming flexibility.
Although I do want to give the stronger gimbal springs from Radio South
a try.  I was able to re-use the RF module from my 7UAF in the 9CAP
which was a nice bonus to staying with Futaba.

On the topic of PCM receivers, I decided to standardize on the new FMA
FM receivers that incorporate failsafe servo settings and transmitter
signal signature recognition.  Signal processing has come a long way
since PCM was introduced and with the FMA receivers I get failsafe servo
settings, interference rejection, and a high performance receiver in a
very small form factor without being locked into vendor proprietary PCM
receivers.  Also, some of the FMA receivers will operate down to very
low voltages which could be a bonus in some battery configurations or
failure modes.

No affiliation, just like their products.

BTW, didn't I recently read that the AMA was using off the shelf FMA
gear to investigate interference reports at a recent contest which got
cancelled?

--
Tom

---------(@)---------           nsrca at shinymetalass.com