Propeller Pitch gauge calibration

Peter Pennisi pentagon.systems at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 15 14:18:57 AKDT 2004

Hi Guys,

I have modified a propeller pitch gauge to accommodate larger propellers.
The gauge I have is a very old prop shop model.

I have decided to check my APC props because I was getting mixed performance
results between all my prop sizes.

Anyway I thought I would check my gauge with a new prop to see how accurate
it was and the numbers I got were different to what was on the prop. I tried
another new prop of exactly the same size I got a different result again.
Anyway I am shocked to find that what is displayed on the prop is different
to my measurements.

What part of the prop should I be measuring my pitch as this varies slightly
over the length of the blade?

Secondly, how would I go about calibrating my unit because I can't do it
with new props because there all different.

How do I express for example 13 inches of pitch as degrees?

Thanks

Peter